Chevrolet has announced at the Los Angeles Auto Show that by early next year, the US versions of the Chevrolet Spark and Sonic/Aveo will incorporate the Siri software. Through the cars’ standard Chevrolet MyLink infotainment system, customers with a compatible iPhone (4S and newer) running iOS 6 can direct Siri to perform a number of tasks while they safely keep their eyes on the road and their hands on the wheel. To further minimise distraction, Siri takes hands-free functionality even further with an Eyes Free mode that enables users to interact with their iPhone using nothing more than their voice while keeping the device’s screen from lighting up.
Owners simply connect their iPhone with the MyLink radio via Bluetooth, pair with the system, and use the steering wheel voice activation button to begin and end sessions with Siri in Eyes Free mode.
In the U.S., Spark and Sonic RS, owners can use Siri in Eyes Free mode to:
* Make voice-activated, hands-free calls to Contacts on their iPhone
* Listen to, and compose and send an iMessage or text message to a phone number or anyone in saved Contacts
* Access Calendar and add appointments
* Minimise distraction even more by keeping the screen of the iPhone from lighting up, even when Siri answers simple questions such as game scores or the dates of national holidays
* While in Eyes Free mode, Siri will not provide answers to complex questions that require displaying a web page.
“It says a lot about our commitment small-car customers that Chevrolet has announced that Siri Eyes Free capability will be available in the Spark and Sonic well before the luxury brands,” said Cristi Landy, Chevrolet marketing director for small cars. “Safe, easy, reliable and portable connectivity is a top priority for our customers, and Siri complements MyLink’s existing capabilities to help deliver an incredible driving experience.”
- Chevrolet Spark and Sonic to Get iPhone’s Siri Personal Assistant – 2012 L.A. (wot.motortrend.com)
- Chevrolet Spark and Sonic to Get ‘Eyes Free’ Siri Integration (technocraz.com)
- Siri Hitching A Ride On Chevrolets In 2013 (appadvice.com)
- GM will be first automaker to integrate Apple’s Siri into its Chevy Sonic and Spark cars (bgr.com)
- Siri ‘Eyes Free’ Mode Coming to Chevrolet Spark and Sonic in Early 2013 (macrumors.com)